Skip to main content

Posts

Showing posts from August 23, 2017

NEW MIGRANT ROUTE TO EUROPE APPEARING IN BLACK SEA?

On Monday, Romanian authorities said that they had caught a fishing boat with 68 asylum seekers off the country’s coast. The boat was carrying Iraqis and Syrians, including 23 children. It was was intercepted late Sunday in the Black Sea in Romania’s southeastern Constanta region. This was the second such incident in a week. The report raised fears that a new migrant route to Europe was opening up. “They were accompanied by two Turkish traffickers,” Ionela Pasat, a spokeswoman for the Constanta coastguard, told AFP. On August 13, a boat with 69 Iraqi migrants was caught in Romanian waters. One Bulgarian and one Cypriot were taken into custody on suspicion of human trafficking. Romania is not a part of the EU passport-free Schengen zone and has largely been spared the ongoing migration crisis. However, the recent events show that the situation is rapidly developing.

LEAKED UN REPORT: SAUDI-LED COALITION IS RESPONSIBLE FOR OVER HALF OF CHILD DEATHS IN YEMEN

FILE IMAGE
The Saudi-led coalition – which receives logistical support, weapons and political backing from the US and UK – has been responsible for killing of hundreds of children in Yemen, according to a leaked UN report. According to the report obtained by Reuters, “attacks carried out by air caused over half of all child casualties, with at least 349 killed and 333 injured”. The report says that the deaths were “unacceptably high”. The report insists that 51% of all child deaths and injuries in Yemen last year were the result of military actions of the Saudi-led coalition. The Saudi-led coalition destroyed more than 28 schools in Yemen, the report added. The obtained text was reportedly drafted by UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres’ special envoy for children and armed conflict, Virginia Gamba, acting on a request from the UN Security Council. However, Guterres still has to approve the report. If this is done, the report will be released this month. The report will be a serious…

TALIBAN RESPONDS TO TRUMP’S NEW AFGHAN STRATEGY, PROMISES TO TURN COUNTRY INTO “GRAVEYARD FOR THE AMERICAN EMPIRE”

FILE IMAGE The Taliban has claimed that it will turn Afghanistan “into a graveyard for the American Empire” following Washington’s decision to continue the military operation in the central Asian country. Taliban spokesman Zabiullah Mujahid issued a statement on Tuesday advicing the US has to think of an exit strategy “instead of continuing the war” on Afghanistan. According to the statement, the Taliban would continue their militancy “so long as a single American soldier” in Afghanistan. The statement came after President Donald Trump backtracked on his promise to end the longest-running war in US history. In turn, Trump announced a new strategy for Afghanistan, rejecting what he called “arbitrary timetables” for the withdrawal of US troops. The Taliban’s statement: Finally the American president Trump announced his strategy and has called for continued presence of occupying forces while labeling Afghanistan as a threat to America. It seems America is not yet ready to end the longes…

SECURITY SITUATION REMAINS COMPLICATED IN NORTHERN SINAI. MILITANTS SHELL KARAM ABU-SALEM BORDER CROSSING

Click to see the full-size map On August 20, terrorists launched 3 missiles on the Karam abu-Salem border crossing. The crossing links Egypt, the Gaza Strip and Israel. It’s located south of the Gaza Strip and actively used to transfer goods. Approximately 250 trucks pass the crossing on a daily basis. On August 21, army units deployed at the Saha camp launched a security campaign in the border crossing the area, including Masora, Balaa, Yamet and Matla. As a result of the operation, the army killed 11 terrorists and discovered an ammunition and weapons depot. A soldier was killed and 5 others were wounded in an IED explosion in the Masor area. Spokesman for the Egyptian Army released a video showing the destruction of 9 vehicles belonging to terrorists near the Libyan border. According to the statement, a group of terrorist was trying to smuggle weapons and ammunition trough Egypt’s western border. Following the airstrikes, border guards conducted an operation against smugglers in t…